Thursday, July 13, 2006

Getting nearer

Amazing how things can change overnight. Dozing off to CNN last night, Israel’s incursion into Lebanon was confined to the very south of the country. The UK Foreign Office website advised visitors not to go south of Tyre, a town about 50 miles south of Beirut. The capital seemed ok.

This morning, the TV was telling quite a different story. Beirut International Airport has been shelled by Israeli jets, with all three runways ‘severely damaged.’ There are no fights into, or out of, Lebanon. Israeli troops have massed on the southern border, and a naval blockade has been imposed. The southern suburbs of Beirut have also been targeted.

Al-Manar, the Hizbullah TV news channel where I was stood only two days earlier, has been hit, although not badly enough to be taken off-air. Given the tightly woven layout of Haret Hreik, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Lebanese Shi’ite civilians were caught in the attack.

Consequently, I’ve had several text messages from worried friends and family. It’s tricky to know what to say in response. I’ve contacted the British Embassy (no response yet), and I’m just about to walk down to Royal Jordanian’s offices to see what options are available. I’m not expecting much in terms of results.

I think the best I can hope for is for the runways to be quickly repaired (which, given Lebanon’s talent for reconstruction, should not take too long). I honestly can’t see myself leaving Lebanon before my scheduled flight. But obviously I’m trying my best to get out. I was arrogant enough to assume yesterday that the Israelis would not ramp up their aggression too much. The airport bombing changes a lot.

Consequently, research interviews are proving very difficult to get, what with everything else going on. Ibrahim Moussawi, an editor at al-Manar TV who I have tried to interview, is at this moment talking on CNN. My little interview is small beans in the scheme of things.

Rather than stew in my hotel room, I caught a cab down to Gemayzieh, a street not far from Martyr’s Square. I had an interview scheduled with Nicholas Blanford, a journalist of considerable renown. After sitting in a French café for 15 minutes, I called him. Apologies followed. “Andy, I’m really sorry… I totally forgot. So much is happening here. I hope you understand.”

I did. I’m in no position to make demands of anybody here. So, at the moment all I can do is sit it out in the touristy (ie most Westernised) parts of Beirut. All will be fine, I’m sure. Compared to the villagers in the south of Lebanon, my experience is a cakewalk.

No comments: